Useful links and resources for industry and freelancers affected by Coronavirus
Our sponsors, supporters and partners are all working together closely to plan for all of The Grierson Trust’s activity given the recent coronavirus outbreak, and we wish everyone well whilst navigating these uniquely tricky circumstances. Our thoughts are particularly with the self-employed and freelancers – the lifeblood of our industry – who will undoubtedly be amongst the worst affected economically by the outbreak.
Over the past days and weeks, industry bodies have issued statements and conducted surveys of freelancers and self-employed people in the industry so that they can lobby government to provide adequate financial support.
If you would like to have your say, if you need advice, or are facing financial hardship due to coronavirus, you can explore the resources listed below.
Raise your concerns:
- The British Film Institute have set up a dedicated Screen Sector Taskforce to convene their conversation with Government and discuss the potential mitigations: https://www.bfi.org.uk/supporting-uk-film/message-about-coronavirus-industry-bfi-chief-executive-ben-roberts
- The Creative Industries Federation are offering three months free membership to freelancers affected by coronavirus, and once a member you can raise your concerns with them: https://www.creativeindustriesfederation.com/news/free-federation-membership-three-months
- The Film and TV Charity are offering advice and a listening ear through their support line, they have also outlined useful links to advice on maintaining your physical and mental health: https://filmtvcharity.org.uk/news-event/the-coronovirus-were-here-to-help-you-think-through-your-options/
- BECTU have outlined advice to their members: https://bectu.org.uk/topic/covid-19-coronavirus/
- ACAS can also offer health and safety advice if you are not part of a union but are an employee or employer worried about the effects of the virus: https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus
- The Association of Independent Professionals and the Self Employed (IPSE) have published their guidance too: https://www.ipse.co.uk/ipse-news/news-listing/coronavirus-ipse-activity-and-advice-freelancers.html
- Creative Scotland have published a page dedicated to Scottish freelancers specifically: https://www.creativescotland.com/what-we-do/latest-news/archive/2020/02/coronavirus-advice
- Government have set up a dedicated helpline to help business and self-employed in distress or with outstanding tax liabilities: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tax-helpline-to-support-businesses-affected-by-coronavirus-covid-19
Explore financial support:
- The Film and TV Charity could provide advice and help to those who are facing hardship due to loss of work: https://filmtvcharity.org.uk/coronavirus-financial-advice/
- The Directors Charitable Foundation also offer welfare grants to directors (screen and theatre) who are struggling financially: https://www.directorscf.org/welfare
- Government has put a range of support in place for those who do not receive Statutory Sick Pay, including Universal Credit and contributory Employment and Support Allowance.
If you would like to raise a concern that is particularly relevant or specific to the factual and documentary sector do email us at email@example.com and we will collate the issues raised and take them forward to our industry partners.
Published: 19 March 2020
© 2020 The Grierson Trust. All rights reserved.