Nominate your Hero of the Year
The Grierson Hero of the Year Award, now in its second year, seeks to highlight talent behind the scenes whose continuous efforts power the art of documentary and factual TV.
We're searching for people to nominate their heroes from any part of the factual industry – from documentary film to TV, pre- to post-production, big studios to little indies, new starts to industry vets and everyone in-between.
The only criteria are:
- They should have contributed behind–the-scenes to the factual and/or documentary industry – whether their impact is wide reaching or on a day-to-day level with their colleagues
- The work they are nominated for should have largely taken place between June 2021 and May 2022 (the same eligibility period as the films submitted to the Griersons)
Many of us have collaborated with someone who always goes the extra mile to elevate a production, to support those they work with, or to progress the industry – all without expecting anything in return. If you know someone who fits the bill, now’s your chance to give them the recognition they deserve – and what’s more, nominations are completely free!
Last year’s winner was Serena Kennedy, selected for her incredible and important output during the Covid-19 pandemic, including such productions as 9/11: Inside the President’s War Room, The Sparks Brothers, and Take Your Knee Off My Neck. The award also recognised her tenacious championing of Production Managers, whose efforts often go overlooked in the industry.
Do you have someone like Serena working in your company? Do you know someone equally as committed to their role who has an impact day to day? Why not nominate them for this accolade?
We're happy to extend the deadline for this award, sponsored by The Talent Manager, to give everyone the chance to nominate their unsung hero.
If you know any unsung heroes in the world of factual and documentary film and TV, then we’d love to hear from you! Just follow these steps to submit:
- Choose your nominee.
- Find two other people who can vouch for your choice.
- Write up a short piece (500-word limit) on why you think they deserve the recognition of this award.
- Fill in our online form.
- Keep your fingers crossed for our announcement this Autumn!
Nominations close Monday, 12 September. The winner will be announced ahead of the Grierson Awards ceremony on Thursday, 10 November.
Published: 4 August 2022