How to Enter and Entry Form
You must log in and complete an entry form for each entry.
Once you have logged in, information is saved so you can go back to your entry to edit it before submitting. You will not be able to make any amendments to the information after you have submitted your entry, so please ensure that all the information is accurate before you submit.
At the end of the entry process you will be required to select a payment option – please see below for information on Entry Fees and Payment.
Once you have submitted your entry you will receive an email confirmation from us which includes a link to enable you to upload your film or episodes to the Grierson Awards portal. For recommended formats see the section, Uploading Your Digital Files at the bottom of this page.
- All entries must have had their first UK screening between 1 June 2021 and 31 May 2022. This includes television broadcast, scheduled screenings and screenings within recognised film, television and documentary festivals, theatrical releases and entries will be accepted which have screened on digital platforms only – e.g. Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon Prime – as long as the screening was accessible by a UK-based audience. Screenings at Universities and Colleges (online screenings due to COVID restrictions included) are also acceptable for the Best Student Documentary category.
- Entries for the Best Documentary Series and Best Constructed Documentary Series categories must provide two episodes from the series.
- We will accept entries into the Series categories if one or more episodes are screened within the qualifying period.
- In the case of entries into the Best Cinema Documentary category, the film must have had a theatrical release in the UK within the qualifying period. For the purposes of this award, a theatrical release is a screening in a UK cinema, open to the general public, for a period of at least seven days. The screenings can be in different cinemas and do not have to be on consecutive days.
- For the Single Documentary Categories – Domestic and International – only single documentaries will be accepted, not episodes from a series; though episodes from strands are acceptable, e.g. Panorama, Dispatches, etc.
- Fully dramatised programmes or drama docs are not eligible for the awards.
- You may submit your entry into a maximum of two categories plus the Presenter category. So for example you may enter the same programme or series into the Best Arts Documentary category, Best Documentary Series and Best Documentary Presenter but NOT in Arts, Series and Best Entertaining Documentary.
- For each individual entry into each individual category, you must provide a separate online entry form and pay a separate entry fee.
- Entrants will need to provide a short statement (maximum 500 words) about the steps that were taken to ensure diversity and inclusion (D&I) practices were embedded in the making of the film or series. We are interested to know what efforts have been made to include under-represented groups both on and off screen; as well as any themes and narratives that address D&I. You may also provide information on the makeup of your team but do not give the names of individuals in your answer.
This is a compulsory question and judges will be taking into account all D&I statements in their selection of shortlist and final nominations. Entrants to the Student Category are not required to provide a D&I statement.
- Entrants can provide the names of up to six key creatives who are responsible for the production. These people will be credited at the final nominations stage on The Grierson Trust website and in the printed programme given to all guests at the awards ceremony. Alternatively, entrants can opt for ‘The Production Team’ instead of named individuals.
Entry Fees and Payment
Payment can be made online via PayPal with a debit or credit card when you submit your entry. You can pay by Visa/Delta/Electron, MasterCard/Eurocard, Maestro or American Express. Alternatively, you can call us with your credit card details (Visa and MasterCard only) or you can pay by bank transfer. Information will be provided at the end of the entry process and in the confirmation email you receive. We will send you a VAT receipt once payment has cleared.
The fees per entry are:
- All main categories: £325 + VAT @ 20% (£390)
- Best Documentary Short: £126 + VAT @ 20% (£151.20)
- Best Student Documentary: £26 + VAT @ 20% (£31.20)
- Grierson Hero of the Year: Free
- MOV or MP4
- Frame size - 4:3 or 16:9
Entries will not be accepted into the competition until payment has been received and this should be no later than 20 May 2022. Uploads of entered programmes must be made by 20 May 2022.
Uploading Your Digital Files for Judging
Once the submission is made on the website you will receive a confirmation email. You will then be able to upload your files for judging. We recommend that you submit your files in one of the following specifications:
Maximum file size of around 4GB per file.