We are now seeking applications from 18-25 year olds with a passion for television and factual storytelling who have ideas on what they can contribute to the industry and who can offer fresh perspectives which are not being reflected on the screen.
The Grierson DocLab and Mentoring Scheme offers participants the support they need towards a successful career in factual programme making. This includes a residential training programme – the DocLab, access to award winning industry professionals, structured mentoring support, the chance to attend the internationally recognized Sheffield Doc/Fest and a paid placement with a production company. The Trust will additionally provide ongoing bespoke support continue participants progress with their career choice within the sector.
The training include:
- An introduction to the genre covering different types of documentaries and styles of shooting.
- Learning how to research ideas, develop and pitch them.
- Script development focusing on structure and story.
- Exploring production roles and a practical exercise to experience the different positions.
- Information, advice and careers guidance.
Successful applicants will also benefit from a three-day self-shoot/editing training weekend.
- Be aged between 18-25
- Be available to attend the selection day in central Birmingham
- Be available to attend all days of the Birmingham residential
- Be available to attend the Sheffield Doc Festival
- Be available to attend the Grierson Awards, 14 November, central London
To apply for a place on this year’s Grierson DocLab and Mentoring Scheme
Please note this scheme is only open to UK residents.
The closing date for applications is 5pm, Friday 15th March 2019.
Have a look at this short film by Daisy Asquith about making your first documentary.
© 2019 The Grierson Trust. All rights reserved.